Sunday, August 31, 2008

Someday I'm going to...


I've been thinking a lot about "Someday." It seems like so many of my days are spent thinking about someday when they should be spent making someday today. Recently I graduated from BYU with honors. I am so happy to be done with that milestone in my life. It was a long time coming and it always seemed to exist only in "someday," but now it's real. Someday has become today for me in that regard.

Another "Someday" that has materialized for me was getting married. Right after I returned from my mission, marriage existed only in "someday," but now it is today and I even have a wonderful little daughter!

Owning my own home was another thing that existed in "someday," but has now come to fruition. Someday's start as dreams then through hard work and determination, become physical reality.

Every time I see a Wells Fargo ad with someone holding up a sign that says something like, "Someday I'll own a home," or "Someday I'll have a law degree," I start to think, what would be on my sign? What is it that I dream about accomplishing? Here are some things that would be on my sign (in no particular order):
  • Someday, I'll have an MBA
  • Someday, I'll have our house paid off
  • Someday, I'll own a successful business
  • Someday, I'll speak Mandarin Chinese fluently
  • Someday, I'll be a scriptorian and teach institute classes
  • Someday, I'll watch my kids grow old and give me grandkids
  • Someday, I'll travel the world with my wife
  • Someday, I'll be a missionary again with my wife
  • Someday, I'll feed hundreds of starving children and provide life-saving medicine to hundreds more
  • Someday, I'll drive a Toyota Avalon
  • Someday, I'll serve my country honorably
The objective now is to transform these "Someday's" into todays!

As my life progresses, I would like to be able to say the present tense of that list:
  • I have an MBA
  • I own a successful business
  • My house is paid off
  • I speak Mandarin Chinese fluently
  • I am a scriptorian and teach institute classes
  • I've watched my kids grow old and enjoy grandkids
  • I travel the world with my wife
  • I am a missionary again with my wife
  • I feed hundreds of starving children and provide life-saving medicine to hundreds more
  • I drive a Toyota Avalon
  • I serve my country honorably
I love this talk by President Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In it he said this: "How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so I ask, “What are we doing with today?” If we live only for tomorrow, we’ll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays. Have we been guilty of declaring, “I’ve been thinking about making some course corrections in my life. I plan to take the first step—tomorrow”? With such thinking, tomorrow is forever. Such tomorrows rarely come unless we do something about them today."

What's on your "Someday" list? How do you plan to get it on your "Today" list?

4 comments:

LuLu said...

Even at my old age, I still have things on my "someday" list. I think I better get to it.

Debbie Perez said...

Jake, you're true Mensch and a real asset to the family (in spite of your misguided political opinions :)) I think you should be proud of all you've done in your short life. When I was your age I was still a single slacker well into my journey on the path of least resistance.
BTW, I'm reading Blink right now and I saw that it's on your shelfari shelf. Did you like it? Have you read The Tipping Point? I face my personal "tipping point" every week when I get on the scales at the Weight Watcher's meeting!

Jake Nielson said...

I did like Blink. Unfortunately I haven't acquired the talent of being 98% accurate when making "blink" decisions yet, but it was an interesting book nonetheless.

Debbie Perez said...

I'm sorry you have not acquired to talent of being 98% accurate when making a "blink". Someday you will. You're still pretty young.
I guess I "blinked" pretty well when I chose my husband because we have had a surprisingly good marriage especially considering that we only knew each other for a few weeks and couldn't even speak the same language!